Friday, April 25, 2014

Creating a Day Off

For some unknown reason, my kids had the day off from school today. My son went off with his friends--the joy of teenage independence--and I took my daughter and her friend to the mall. We followed inspiration, which resulted in a series of pictures mocking mannekins. You can follow me on Instagram at create_miracles and check out the pictures at #mockthemannekin. Here's a sample:

Monday, April 7, 2014

Sketching Faces

After a hiatus, I've returned to sketching faces. Dina Wakley, in her online course called Facing the Facts, challenges her students to draw 100 faces. I've chosen to take on this challenge. The faces below are numbers 13 through 20.

My daughter thinks this guy is creepy. I agree.

If the faces seem brooding, they are. I'm using models as, well, models. I've purchased a style magazine to have plenty of drawing samples. The unintentional result is I have a bunch of faces of people with attitude and slightly parted lips.

After drawing so many pouty-faced models, I decided to go free form. I'm grateful for all of the models I've drawn; they've taught me so much about drawing faces that I was able to use in the sketch below. Of all the faces I've sketched in this set, she is my favorite.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Mixed Media Journal Cover

Since completing my 365-Day Creating Challenge on December 31 of last year, I have not created as much as I'd like. I have painted and sketched here and there; now I'm feeling a greater desire to amp up my creating pace. I'm also feeling the urge to blog again (I'd rather burned out on it after posting so much last year).

So, here I am, sharing a journal cover I recently made. I like to journal in sketchbooks. They contain completely blank pages which make for truly creative writing. However, the covers leave something to be desired, and this one was particularly hideous with a bunch of marketing copy all over it. I slathered the cover with gesso then went to town with acrylics for the background. I collaged the flower onto the cover with decoupage, then painted it with acrylics and finished it off with pen work. Well, it might not be "finished"--I might have to cap it off with some lettering...